Saturday 16 August 2008

Five For Freaking Good Writing



In a nod to my band, and because it's a Saturday and I should be doing other things but my girlfriend is off doing doing her thing for the festival of Rakhri, I am presenting you with a choice selection of five songs with quite simply excellent song-writing. From my man Craig Finn to the excellent Joanna Newsom and the mythically minded Laura Veirs, this is an exercise in song writing genius, to inspire, delight and generally fill up your ears with.

We Speak in the store, I'm a sensitive bore,
You seem markedly more, and I'm oozing surprise.
But it's late in the day, and you're well on your way,
What was golden went grey, and I'm suddenly shy.
.


Joanna Newsom - Peach Plum Pear (Live at Bottletree)

I had a thought while I was sleeping
And I dreamed about a place for us to rest
Eternity under the old oak tree
But I go too far, I guess.
.


Eels - Ugly Love

Now she's pinned and way too shaky.
She don't wanna tell the doctor everything she's taken
The paramedics hovered over her like a somber mourning family
They gave her activating charcoal, they flooded her with saline.
.


The Hold Steady - The Chillout Tent

Dreaming we were stones in black stillness
Dreaming of the death of the sun
Waking to a world of white blindness
Painted eyes of the holy ones
.


Laura Veirs - Don't Lose Yourself

And we'll undress beside the ashes of the fire
Both our tender bellies wound in baling wire
All the more a pair of underwater pearls
Than the oak tree and its resurrection fern
.


Iron & Wine - Resurrection Fern (For more on this excellent track, see this entry from Tha Bomb Shelter)

I feel like this feature is probably likely to become a regular, because if there's one thing I love it's a lyric that tells a complete story from start to finish. Regular readers might wonder why I didn't add any Death Cab, but to be perfectly honest with you Ben Gibbard writes so prolifically and so presciently it would be hard for me to choose just one track. I highly recommend checking out Company Calls Epilogue from the We Have the Facts... album. This song painfully explores a spurned lover on hearing the love of his life is marrying someone else, a concept repeated in much of Gibbards' work (check out the video for new song Cath... for more on this). You can't get more lyrically touching than his work on this song as his antihero charges into the wedding, too late to do anything about it:

Crashing through the parlor doors,
What was your first reaction?
Screaming, drunk, disorderly, I'll tell you mine:
You were the one, but I can't spit it out when the date's been set.
The white routine, to be ingested inaccurately
.


For me, it's a terribly personal song but thankfully, my hero(ine) saved me eventually, crashing through my parlor doors to whisk me off to... sunny Shepherds Bush! But that's a whole other story. P.S. Liking it? Loving it? Pop over to Amazon and by yourself some albums then go see a show, check out the MySpace pages, and generally be supportive!