Monday 18 June 2007

Soho Dolls blow quasi-goth emo kids away at Hyde Park Wireless Festival!



So Saturday was the Electronica edition of the Hyde Park Wireless Festival and it was absolutely gob-smackingly awesome. Daft Punk's monolithic set at the end of the night absolutely tore it up; me and my mate danced until we were covered in sweat (not all ours, eeewww) and went for a massive walk afterwards to burn off the energy. CSS were incredible, bouncing around in an array of brightly coloured jumpsuits and gulping down helium from their set-decorations. Mute Math were much more fun than I was expecting, destroying their instruments and break-dancing over the keyboards and drum kits with incredible athleticism.

But who was the band that surprised me the most? Easy. The Soho Dolls. The Soho Dolls are New Romantic goth/emo band with an incredibly highly sexualised lead singer. She was such a presence on stage, and the band were great together. I had never heard of them before, and to look at them I would never have tried to. In fact, if I saw them on the street, I would probably try to avoid them. I would have been mistaken. They're good, and damn is she fine!! So give them a listen, and be aware, this isn't really a great indicator of their work:

Soho Dolls - My Vampire

DISCLAIMER: Please note, Soho Dolls were no way the best band of the day, but for an up and coming band they really gave their all. In fact, CSS, as I had expected, were probably the highlight for me. Their set was energetic, enthusiastic and most of all engaging. The crowd loved every minute, and I was blown away by their cover of L7's Pretend We're Dead, a version of which you can find below.

CSS - Pretend We're Dead

No comments: